Friday, January 29, 2010

First Attempt at Self-Texlaxing

I ventured out today in the -35C cold to get the supplies for my first self-texlax.

I bought:
  • ORS Lye Relaxer for Fine-Medium hair
  • Cream of Nature Neutralizing & Conditioning Shampoo
I based my scalp with Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil (basically a hair grease).

I mixed the relaxer with olive oil. I pre-parted my whole head, because I didn't want to worry about parting my hair as I applied the relaxer because my new growth was REALLY thick. I relaxed half of my head, rinsed it, then did the other side. I applied Motions CPR, let that sit for a few minutes, then neutralized.

I was so nervous during this experience. As I was rinsing out the relaxer, I had this fear that my hair was going to start falling in clumps. Thankfully that didn't happen.

What I regret though was not leaving it on longer. Considering that my hair is coarse, the fact that I bought a low-strength relaxer and diluted it, I should have known that I should give it a bit more time to process.

I dried my hair loose under the hooded dryer, then flat ironed. It was still somewhat tough to part the back of my hair (the coarsest area of my hair). I hope I won't need to correct this relaxer.. I'll wash it again after a few days with neutralizing shampoo, but will rollerset, to give the roots some more smoothness.

Hair divided into small sections, to ease relaxer application


Flat ironed hair


"Swang" LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment